What says summertime sun more than sweet and juicy Orr’s Farm Market peaches? Whether it’s enjoying them straight out of the market, in a freshly baked pie, or summertime peach ice cream; Orr’s Farm Market peaches are a summertime staple. And we are lucky to have them this year! A couple of southern states like Georgia and the Carolina’s suffered close to a total loss of peaches this year. We’re feeling blessed at Orr’s to have a crop that looks so delectable on our trees.
Our Semi-Freestone peaches are here, and we think they’ll stick around for the rest of the month, while our Freestone peaches will start around July 24 (so mark your calendars!). We expect Orr’s Farm Market peaches to remain in season through mid-September. Our peaches are sweet, juicy and will definitely tantalize your taste buds, but there’s also a bonus: making peaches a regular guest to your diet this summer bring advantages to your health.
Health Benefits Are Just Peachy
Did you know peaches are one of the largest fruit crops in the United States? That’s great news as they provide a lot of nutrients with few calories and no fat.
So what are some other health benefits? Peaches help your body to:
- Manage weight due to low calories and fat
- Minimize the risk of blood clotting through vitamin K
- Reduce the risk of harmful molecules leading to disease due to antioxidants
- Regulate cholesterol levels and reduce heart disease due to fiber intake
Cool Off This Summer
Orr’s Farm Market peaches are the perfect complement for your family recipes. If you’re one that needs a little recipe guidance on where to start, check out our Pinterest page where you can find some of our favorite peach recipes. Here’s one of our all-time summertime must-makes:
Contest-Winning Peach Ice Cream
2 cups half-and-half cream
3 – ½ cups of sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 to 8 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175 degrees; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches at least 160 degrees and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Place peaches in a blender, cover and process until pureed. Stir into the custard. Fill the cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze, stirring before freezing each batch. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer of firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 3 quarts
Recipe courtesy of http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-peach-ice-cream
Peach season is a fan favorite and one you and your family won’t want to miss. Visit us online, or give us a call at (304) 263-1168 to learn more about our other farm market products. We look forward to seeing you and your family enjoying Orr’s Farm Market peaches this summer. Take a picture and tag us on Facebook!