The leaves are changing, pumpkin spice lattes are back, and the kids are in school. Fall is finally here, and there is one thing that’s on everyone’s to-do list this year: carve the perfect pumpkin! So grab your coziest flannel shirt and hitch a ride on the nearest hayride, and we’ll tell you everything you need to know when it comes to carving a plump pumpkin this season.
What You’ll Need:
- Pumpkin carving tools (knife, scooper, detail skewer, etc.)
- Candle and lighter
- Your perfect pumpkin
- Pick your perfect pumpkin! Check out the plump pumpkins at Orr’s Farm Market, open seven days a week with hayrides departing every 30 minutes. Check out our website for additional details about pumpkin patch hours.
- Once you get home, put down newspaper where you plan on doing your carving. You don’t want to get those pumpkin guts everywhere!
- Using a knife, cut a hole in the top of your pumpkin.
- Start scooping! You’ll want to clear out as much of the pumpkin seeds and stringy guts as you can to make sure your candle stays upright. Pro tip: you can bake the pumpkin seeds after for a yummy treat!
- Tape your design to the “front” of your pumpkin (the part you want to show off to the world).
- Use the detail skewer to poke through the design paper to your pumpkin. Make sure the dots are close enough together that you can follow it once you take the paper off.
- Take the design paper off and use that knife to start cutting! Be careful when popping out the pieces, especially with an intricate design.
- Once you’re done carving, set the candle inside the pumpkin, take it to the front porch, and light the candle. Violà! It’s time to show off your pumpkin to the world!
The first step is always the hardest, but it doesn’t have to be! At Orr’s Farm Market, not only can you find your perfect pumpkin in one of our pumpkin patches, but you can also navigate our small corn maze, pose for goofy photos as some of our favorite produce, and still walk away with a goody bag full of fun! Our pumpkin patches are open every day! Check out below for patch hours and pricing deals. Happy hunting!
Orr’s Farm Market Hours Pumpkin Patch Hours of Operation:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Patch closes at 6 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Patch closes at 6 p.m.
Saturdays: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Patch closes at 6 p.m.
Sundays: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Patch closes at 4 p.m.
Pricing ranges from $7.99/person to $3.99/person. Children ages 2 and under can enter the patch for free! Get details on pumpkin patch packages right here.