Year in and year out, our excitement continues to build as the pick-your-own season reaches its peak. The experience and the bond it fosters between families’ embodies what we believe: growing happiness with good food.
We’re particularly excited about the pick-your-own cherry season this year after we lost last year’s crop to an unusual freeze. This year, we’re looking at the beginning of June for prime cherry picking season to begin. You and your family can enjoy our homegrown West Virginian sweet or tart cherries for only $3.09/lb. or if you pick 10 lbs or more, the price is reduced to $2.79/lb.
So why should pay us a visit for these delectable treats? Not only are they fun to pick, but cherries are one of Mother Nature’s most prominent superfoods.
Set your Sights on this Superfood
Much like other fruits, cherries have huge health benefits. That being said, go ahead and let yourself indulge in a milkshake every once in a while…as long as it comes with a cherry on top!
There a quite a few reasons to keep a bowl of cherries on-hand in your fridge. Eating cherries will help to:
- protect against diabetes
- promote better sleep
- decrease belly fat
- reduce the risk of stroke
- reduce muscle pain
- relieve osteoarthritis
You may not be into the cherries to cut calories; maybe you’re looking for just the opposite: a sweet treat nobody can resist. If you have your family recipes, give our cherries a shot to add a little homegrown flavor. If you’re coming to the farm to pick, but need a little inspiration, check out one of our favorite guilty pleasures:
- 4 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 6 cups pitted cherries (thaw if frozen)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsps. dark rum
- 2 tbsps. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a 9-inch square baking dish
- Toss the cherries in a large bowl with ½ cup sugar, the rum, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and 2 tablespoons flour. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the remaining ¼ cup flour, the oats, almonds and the remaining ¼ cup sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter until combined, then sprinkle the mixture over the cherries.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown (50 minutes to 1 hour). Let cool slightly before serving.
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cherry-vanilla-crisp-2268921
The pick-your-own cherry season is one you won’t want to miss. Stop in our market today to pick up your fresh produce. Visit us online, or give us a ring at (304) 263-1168 for additional crop and produce information. We look forward to seeing you and your family this season down on the farm.
Photo Credit: Quinn Dombrowski. Licensed under CC BY 2.0.