It’s August. It’s steamy. It’s the pits! Except the pits at the farm are ones you won’t want to miss. Confused? August is all about pitted fruits, also known as stone fruits: freestone peaches, nectarines, plums, and white peaches. We’re harvesting these beauties all month.
Stone fruits are often overlooked for berries, which are more commonly associated with summertime enjoyment. So we’re on a mission to uphold the virtues of our August harvest. Here are three reasons to choose these fleshy gems:
- Portability: No container needed. It’s as simple as grab and go.
- Storage: Fresh for days on the counter, and another day or more in the fridge once ripened.
- Durability: The tougher skin on stone fruit helps prevent cuts and dripping juice.
If that’s not enough, how about we tempt you with a few health facts?
- Nectarines are a good source of beta carotene, which the body converts into Vitamin A.
- Peaches are considered to have calming properties, and their selenium content helps fight cancer.
- Plums have a low glycemic index, meaning they don’t have a great impact on blood sugar.
No persuasion tops that of the taste buds, so here are a few stone-fruit recipes you won’t be able to resist:
When it comes to peaches, plums, and nectarines, throwing stones has never been so sweet! We hope we’ve tossed enough temptation your way. We’ll see you at the farm this month!