Is there anything better than curling up under a blanket as the air begins to chill? Add a couple of yummy snacks, a warm drink, and a feel-good movie and you’re set! Read on for the ultimate fall movie bucket list to take full advantage of the autumn ambiance.
1. Dead Poets Society
This Robin Williams classic is chock-full of back-to-school vibes, autumn scenery, and those fun prep school uniforms. Prepare to be ultimately inspired!
2. October Sky
The West Virginia-based tale of how a group of unlikely teens build a rocket is heartwarming, and will make you proud to be a West Virginian! Check out all of the flannels, crunchy leaves, and fall feels.
3. You’ve Got Mail
This classic love story starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks takes place during a New York City autumn and offers the most stunning views of the city during what is (arguably) the most beautiful season.
4. Good Will Hunting
Another film featuring Robin Williams, this one also offers satisfying back-to-school imagery and beautiful fall foliage in Massachusetts. Come for the aesthetic, stay for the touching story.
5. Practical Magic
This witchy tale featuring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman is a look into a small town in the fall, and offers Halloween-y vibes and plenty of candlelight.
Now that you’ve picked out a movie, it’s time to set up the menu. Of course, any movie-watching session needs popcorn, so try Cakies by Rachel ’s spin on this tried-and-true tradition! For this recipe, we recommend using Amish Country popcorn kernels, available at our farm market.. These fun, flavorful kernels come in lots of delicious varieties sure to please popcorn enthusiasts!
Cinnamon & Sugar Popcorn
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add the sugar, water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt; cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour butter mixture over popcorn; toss and mix with a spoon till popcorn is fully coated.
- Transfer coated popcorn onto the baking tray.
- Now that you’ve got your movie snack, it’s time to choose a beverage! Try this fall-ready hot chocolate recipe from All Recipes.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup whipped cream
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- Whisk milk, cream, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder together in a saucepan over medium heat until chocolate chips are melted and hot chocolate is smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice until fully incorporated.
- Pour hot chocolate into two mugs. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over whipped cream.
No time to make your own snacks? Stop by Orr’s Farm Market to pick up some ready-made snacks that are just as satisfying. We’re open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Happy movie-watching!