Orr’s Pick-Your-Own Strawberries
How To Pick Strawberries
With the strawberry lightly in your hand, grasp the stem just above the berry and pinch with your thumb and index finger, pull with a slight twist. Never pull or tug on the berries.
- Pick only ripe berries! They are one of the only fruits that do not continue to ripen after they are picked.
- Size is not an important characteristic. Small red berries taste just as good, if not better than large red berries. Again, color is the most important quality to look for.
- Strawberries like to hide! Be sure to look deep in the center of the plants for hidden red strawberries.
- Do not pick flowers or green berries as this hurts the strawberry plants.
- The best berry picking is usually on the far end of the patch where fewer pickers venture. A little extra walking is usually worth the effort for easy, prime picking.
- All produce should be washed before eating at home. Please do not consume strawberries in the field.
- Please keep containers level full. Over-filling leads to smashed berries in the bottoms of your containers, plus some are wasted as they fall off the tops.
- Please do not walk-on or tear black plastic raised beds
- Children must be under adult supervision at all times.
- When you get home…cool your berries down as soon as possible after picking.
- Do not wash strawberries until right before you are ready to eat them.
- Orr’s Farm Market is kept clean for your enjoyment. Please do not leave trash in the fields. Wastebaskets are available for your convenience.