Mid summer already? Where did the time go? We hope you all had a great Fourth of July holiday. Surely your celebrations involved a berry or two, right? Share your cookout standouts on our Facebook page! We love seeing the unique ways our friends and fans use our fresh berries in their summer dishes.
Now that July is here, so is National Blueberry Month! Last week we touched on blueberries, and this week we want to give another shout out to our favorite plump pops of purple.
Did you know blueberries are a great source of dietary fiber? Fiber can reduce the “bad” cholesterol, called LDL, which can cause problems for your heart. So let’s get this straight: Blueberries are not only sweet and delicious, but they help keep your ticker in tiptop shape! Good health in a tasty package—that’s a win-win.
Speaking of winning combinations, the sweetness of our berries is a nice complement to savory dishes. If you’ve never used berries in a savory dish, what better introduction than a sweet and savory pizza? This dish is just begging to be the star of your next summer get-together. Here’s an easy recipe that’ll be sure to win over everyone’s tastebuds:
Savory Blueberry Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 4 ounces diced pancetta (can also use bacon or ham if pancetta is not available), cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Pat and stretch dough into a 10 x 14-inch oval; place on a large baking sheet.
- With a fork, pierce dough in several places.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, sprinkle dough with half the mozzarella, the gorgonzola, pancetta and red onion.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Sprinkle blueberries and remaining mozzarella over pizza; bake until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, about 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; top with basil and pepper.
*Courtesy U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
Check out more delicious blueberry recipes on our Pinterest page!
July is full of juicy goodness at the farm. Remember, we’ve got pick-your-own blueberries for a few more weeks. Fill your baskets to the brim, and try not to eat them all before you get home. Save a few for your newest favorite—savory blueberry pizza. Let us know how yours turned out!