Who can forget when, in “Dirty Dancing,” Baby says “I carried a watermelon” to Johnny at the dance? Boy, was she embarrassed.
We can’t promise you that you’ll meet the person of your dreams or learn how to dance the cha-cha when you visit us for watermelon, but we promise you won’t be embarrassed to show off these watermelon dishes at your summer soiree.
Of course, the easiest thing to do with a watermelon is to chill it in the fridge and then slice it up. But why be boring? Here are some ways to jazz up the fruit.
Looking for a simple way to use up the last of the watermelon? This recipe is perfect when you just need one last little bit of smoky sweetness.
- 9 slices of watermelon, preferably seedless
- Kabob skewers, soaked and prepared
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped mint (optional)
- Prepare grill at high heat. Push a skewer through slice at an angle.
- Lightly brush watermelon slices with olive oil on both sides.
- Place on grill, and flip when you see grill marks.
- After marks are on both sides or about five minutes total, set aside on a plate and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add mint. Serve.
Granita is really just a super simple version of Italian ice. The upside to this dessert is that the longer you wait, the more juicy and sweet it becomes. The downside is that it’s going to take three hours until it can be served. We found this recipe at momadvice.com blog.
- 1 large watermelon, preferably seedless, cubed
- ½ cup sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- In a blender combine watermelon, sugar and lime juice.
- Add to a metal pan and freeze for about an hour.
- With a fork, scrape the watermelon to loosen it, and return to freezer.
- Wait for another hour. After this process has been repeated for three hours, remove from pan and serve in cups or a hollowed out watermelon.
Grilled Chicken-Watermelon Tacos
Tacos aren’t just for Tuesdays, and this dish will add a little sweetness to the same-old chicken taco.
- 4 pounds sliced grilled chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ½ small red onion, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Tortilla shells, heated
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Salt and pepper chicken. Over medium heat, grill chicken. When chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F, remove from heat and set aside. Let rest for a few minutes. Slice into strips.
- In a large bowl, add watermelon, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt.
- On a warm tortilla shell, add chicken and watermelon mixture. Top with cheese. Serve.
- Makes 4 servings.
Come on down to get your watermelon. All we ask is that you don’t put Baby in the corner. We’re open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.